Wednesday, March 17, 2010

New Yoga Mat

Ahhhhhh... There is something wonderful about a new yoga mat. Maybe it's that feeling of starting fresh. Maybe it's the absence of the perma-grime and grooves from your old mat.

Maybe I'm just a yoga-dork? ;)

Anyway, the past few years I have been going through my yoga mats at the rate of more than one a year. It's kind of shocking, really! So when I was on holidays recently I decided to bite the bullet and invest in a long-term yoga mat. Something tough, durable and of course, eco-friendly.

What I came home with is Prana's Neo Natural Yoga mat. And I am in love!! The mat is made out of 100% natural rubber so it's grippy (like, REALLY grippy) from the get-go. No more slipping around, folks. :) I can't believe how grippy this mat is! It's so grippy that my shorts are catching on it when I'm working on my jump-backs! Maybe they should rename it the "so you thought you had bandhas, eh?" mat.

The other cool thing is the size - the mat is nearly 2 metres long (6"5!) and 66cm wide (26"). Now I am not a tall person so the length is no biggie to me but I really appreciate having the extra width to play with especially for arm balances and the like.

I read a lot of hype about the smell of rubber mats. My verdict? Yes, it smells like rubber (*duh*). No, it doesn't bother me. Ok, ok, I confess, I have been caught lovingly sniffing it. Did someone say yoga-geek? Prana recommends wiping the mat down with vinegar to reduce the smell. A friend of mine used a home-made spray made of water/vinegar/essential oil on her Manduka rubber mat - she brought the spray bottle to class and just gave it a spray after every practice. My favourite essential oil for mats in Orange... it gives you something nice to look forward to in Chaturanga. ;)

The only disadvantage to this mat is the weight: it comes in at about 3.6 kilos! (8lbs) So I think will still be using my old sticky mat/yoga blanket (easier to wash!) combo for teaching classes outside my home and for traveling of course.

Bye for now... I'm off to sniff my mat again... :p

[Image from www.barefootygoga.com]

3 comments:

  1. I also love getting a new yoga mat. I have been using a Jade mat for teaching. I found that my joints were getting achey from hard floors with my just my 10 year old huggermugger mat! I've had the Jade for two years and I love it. But, the wonderful husband got me a Manduka black mat for Christmas! I find that this mat takes a bit more breaking in than the Jade...and, like the Prana mat you have, super heavy. I don't really want to pack it around! PS--my first huggermugger was an aroma mat. it smells like raspberry. After ten years it still smells. And, I confess that I too sniff my mat :D (babs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!! i'm so glad you got a new "ECO" mat :)

    I was wondering about prana, it's the only mat other eco-mat that i really would be interested in trying (i've tried jade and manduka eko).

    my rubber mat smell has faded after about two years of use... but it's flaking sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked up a good sweat on it yesterday doing some arm balances and it did get a little bit slippery... hmmmm... may still be using my non-slip yoga blanket for certain things! But I still love it!

    ReplyDelete