Thursday, April 9, 2009

Om Shanti

I'm reading a wonderful book at the moment by Lama Surya Das, an American Buddhist monk. In the chapter on generosity, he outlines the four traditional ways for sharing the Dharma - whatever wisdom is yours to share. They are:

1. Share generously of yourself.
2. Engage in meaningful discussions with others about what is of true benefit to them.
3. Encourage others to implement and internalize what they have learned.
4. Lead by example.

This blog is the first: sharing generously of myself.

I am embarking on a journey: I am training to become a Yoga teacher. Well, lets be truthful: I already teach Yoga. But I am doing this training to feel worthy of the title Teacher - to truly deepen my knowledge of Yoga philosophy and practice as well as of the way Yoga works on the human body.

So, last week I was accepted to my course of choice, and received already my self-study assignments. Namely, these are to read and reflect on three classic yoga texts:
  • The Bhagavad Gita
  • The Yoga Sutras
  • The Hatha Yoga Pradikipa
I'm starting with the Gita, considered one of the most important classical texts in Yoga philosophy. As Swami Chidananda says in the foreword: "Within its eighteen chapters is revealed a human drama. This is the experience of everyone in this world, the drama of the ascent of man from a state of utter dejection, sorrow and total breakdown and hopelessness to a state of perfect understanding, clarity, renewed strength and triumph."

If you can assimilate the lessons (implement and internalize - no 3 above) of the Gita: "Light will fill the heart and mind. This is the Gita."

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment