But on the other hand, there are no recycling facilities in this country (sigh), so all my trash goes straight to a landfill, even glass and paper. There are no public transportation options, and cycling around town as a white woman can be dangerous and certainly not something I risk my laptop for! With limited choices (only 3 supermarkets) I don't always have the option to buy organic or fresh - I certainly can't just pop down to the local health food store and press my own peanut-butter like I used to do when I was studying in Montreal! And of course, environmental consciousness is just NOT a part of people's mentality here - we're still talking throwing plastic bottles out of car windows, and trash bags into rivers, people. *Sigh*
Will this be a regular feature? Maybe, maybe not. But for today, here are 7 every-day things that I do to help save our Earth.
- I use my reusable shopping bags every time I shop, and carry one around in my purse so I never have to take home a plastic bag!
- I take water in my own bottle to work every day, and refill it at lunch, so I never have to buy a plastic water bottle!
- I consciously try to avoid buying products with too much packaging, especially plastic or styrofoam.
- I turn off the shower when I don't need the water e.g. when shaving.
- I turn off all the lights and appliances in my house whenever I am not using them or am not in the room.
- I car-pool whenever possible, and my car is pretty fuel efficient.
- I compost all my organic waste and use it to fertilise my garden.
What about you? What every-day Earth-friendly things do you do?